Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It's over....

It's been a few days since the men's hockey team lost to Cornell in the first round of the NCAA tournament. It was no doubt a great season, one that put NU hockey on the map, but there's a huge "what if." What if we had beat Cornell? Look, I know Bemidji State rolled over Notre Dame (and then Cornell), and from what I heard, would have beaten the Huskies the next day the way they were playing, but it is still tantalizing to think that's all that would have been standing in between Northeastern and a trip to the Frozen Four..... Oh well. Kind of a tough way for the six seniors to go out, but the program has certaintly made progress since they first stepped on the ice.



NU goalie and fellow blogger Brad Thiessen has this to say, which I think sums it up pretty nicely:

and just like that it’s over

It has taken a few days and still I can’t quite get the thoughts out of my head or the feeling in my stomach of what happened on Saturday night. I think I can speak for most of the guys when I say we are kind of still in shock and don’t really know what to do with ourselves right now. To lose the game like we did, for the second game in a row was pretty devastating. I mean when you do it once and you still have something to play for it eases the pain a bit, but when it ends your season it’s a little more difficult to swallow. I feel for the bus that came out to support us in Grand Rapids, I feel for the fans who packed into Qdoba and Connor’s to watch the game, we all feel like we let everyone down. Yes we were able to accomplish a lot this season, including some things that other NU teams have never done, but we didn’t win anything, which is tough to take. The weekend happened pretty fast, as soon as we lost we were whisked to the airport and back in Boston 5 hours after the game ended. It was a good experience but not a result that anybody wanted.

No comments: